Monday, April 1, 2013

Plants Unit, Currently April, and a FREEBIE!

Well, spring break is over.

Sad.

On the bright side, we started new units in ALL subjects today... Holla! Well, I love our plant and Kevin Henkes units, which we began today, so I'm in a happy lesson planning place. :)

I worked away during my break to get my plants unit updated.


This is what the old unit looked like. It makes me want to throw up a little. So I did a little PowerPointing, and this is the result:


MUCH better! 

What's included in this unit:
- Unit planner for 10 days of lessons
- Suggested books to read aloud
- Instructions for all activities
- Plant life cycle mini book
- Labs including observing soaked bean seeds, fruits with various seed types, growing bean plants, and water transportation
- Root, fruit, and leaf sort
- Flower facts craftivity (NEW for April 2013 update)
- Original plant song
- Unit assessment (NEW for April 2013 update)

If you'd like to grab the unit, click on the picture above to take you to my TpT store!

We did the first activity today, a RAN (a form of a KWL that allows for misconceptions... Which we all know firsties can have a LOT of!):



(Those kiddos are inquisitive - our Post-Its of questions spilled into the misconceptions box! Gotta get smaller Post-Its!)

Tomorrow, we're going to start talking about the life cycle of a plant. I made this little freebie for you to snag:


Click the picture above to go to my TpT store to download the freebie. It is a short reading passage with a brief five question true/false quiz to check comprehension.

Also, I thought I'd post my Currently April. :)


It's about time to call it a night... I am in for a LONG day tomorrow!

Classroom freebies

8 comments:

  1. Hello! I found you through Farley's Currently post. "Tangled" is such a cute movie! My daughter loves it and I'll admit I'm a sucker for a good Disney movie. I love your advice! Now if people would leave me alone to do it right the first time. ;) Have a good one!
    Shibahn
    Mrs. Landry’s Land of Learning

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Tangled! I am so ready for warm weather! But it's supposed to be cold here tomorrow, with a possibility of snow. Yuck! I hope you get your warmer weather!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the tea at starbucks! Such a delightful guilty pleasure. You plant projects are adorable, perfect for this time of year.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi there! I also found you from Farley's blog. I'm a newbie to blogging so I am loving this whole "linky party" thing. So fun! Tangled is a favorite around here with my little girls (and I'm not ashamed that I love it too!) Enjoy the rest of your Spring Break!

    ~Samantha

    Making Lemonade in Second Grade

    ReplyDelete
  5. You had me at "It makes me want to throw up a little!". Cracking---me---up! Page and I feel the same way about some of the crap we first put out that we thought was so great! Ugh!!! Found you over at Farley's!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Angie-

    Your plant unit looks incredible! I'm sharing it at our first grade science board over at Pinterest.

    Just spent some time reading through your site, and I love it! An added bonus, you are also from Illinois. I taught in Chicago for many years- both public and private schools. First grade is where my heart still is.

    Happy year's end to you,
    Nicolette
    The Classroom Creative

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your anchor chart! You have inspired me to do one next year :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great Unit for first grade. Fresh ideas! Thanks

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...